Starting May 16: Full Road Closures Near Johnson’s Corner, I-25
Expect multiple road closures due to the the I-25 North Express Lanes Project connecting Fort Collins and Berthoud, CDOT said.
The frontage roads and underpasses in the Johnson's Corner area will be pretty messy, and may involve some zig-zagging starting next week, so travelers be aware.
Between 9 p.m. on Sunday, May 16 and 5 a.m. on Monday, May 17, Larimer County Road 16, near Johnson's Corner, will fully close east and westbound at I-25. Drivers will use detours on Larimer County Road 14 or 18. Drivers can also expect single lane closures on LCR 14 through June of 2021.
Starting at 9 p.m. on Sunday, May 16, Larimer County Road 14 (Loveland, Johnstown) will be fully closed at I-25. Drivers will detour to Larimer County Road 16 (see above). This closure is expected until 5 a.m. on Sunday, May 23.
Monday, May 24, CDOT says that the frontage road between LCR 14 and Colorado Highway 60 will permanently close, and will eventually become a part of the new, widened I-25.
When all of this construction is done, there will be an express lane connecting Berthoud to Fort Collins, and will help alleviate some of the heavy traffic congestion as Northern Colorado continues to grow. You can learn more about the I-25 North Express Lanes Project here.
Here's why the frontage road along I-25 in Northern Colorado is slowly closing permanently, according to CDOT:
- The frontage road is just the old highway that were there before I-25 was build in the 1960s
- It was kept so property owners had access to their land
- High-speed collisions are caused by drivers who are unable to tell if oncoming traffic is on the frontage road or on I-25, and is therefore a safety concern
- The road are often used illegally by drivers who want to get off of I-25
- Some of the frontage road will be used to widen I-25 to accommodate a higher volume of traffic