The suspect has been identified in the officer-involved shooting that occurred on August 25, 2016 in North Fort Collins. The Larimer County Coroner has identified the deceased suspect as 63-year-old, Jerry Jackson.

The shooting involved three employees from Fort Collins Police Services. Officer Bryan Brown has served at the agency since 2013. Prior to his time at FCPS, Officer Allen Heaton has served at FCPS since 2007. Officer Nick Rogers has served at FCPS since July 2009. The involved officers have been placed on paid administrative leave until the investigation is completed, which is department policy.

According to a release from Fort Colllins Police Services:

At 7:22 p.m. on August 25, 2016, Fort Collins 9-1-1 received a call regarding a domestic disturbance involving a knife on the 900 block of North College Ave. The female caller reported that Jackson had been menacing her and several others before he left the scene. Fort Collins Police officers responded and were interviewing the victims when Jackson was seen trespassing at one victim’s residence, violating a protection order.


Officers attempted to make contact with Jackson, at which time the man advanced on officers while brandishing a knife. Jackson refused to comply with commands, and officers attempted to subdue him with less-lethal means (Taser). However, Jackson continued approaching, at which time the three officers discharged their service weapons, striking him. Jackson was transported to Medical Center of the Rockies where he was pronounced deceased.


The suspect is dead after an officer-involved shooting in north Fort Collins last night.

No officers were injured in the shooting at Highway 287 and North Shields Street. Officers apparently responded to a domestic disturbance report seeing the suspect illegally enter a woman's home with a weapon. According to a police report, the suspect left the house but still had a weapon in his hand as he approached officers. Officers used a taser, which was ineffective. They shot the man as he continued to approach them.

The suspect was taken to Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland where he died.

Highway 287 was closed from Shields to Highway 1. According to CDOT, it has been reopened.

Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

More From K99