Bonfire Gone Bad at Fossil Ridge High School Homecoming Injures One
One Poudre Fire Authority firefighter was injured Friday night when a vapor cloud ignited at Fossil Ridge's homecoming celebration.
Bonfires are a back-to-school tradition in Fort Collins, but the unseasonably hot temps we've had for mid-September caused Fossil Ridge's bonfire to get out of hand, ending with an explosion.
Poudre Fire Authority wrote on their Facebook page that 'an imbalance in the fuel mixture used for the annual Fossil Ridge High School bonfire caused a larger-than-expected ignition... Warmer evening temperatures caused a higher-than-usual amount of gasoline in the mixture to vaporize, and the vapor cloud ignited.'
Laura Blanton shared a photo of the fire on Instagram likely before the vapor cloud ignited.
Thankfully, no students were injured, but one firefighter suffered minor burns.
Colorado State University will have its annual homecoming bonfire and 'lighting of the 'A'' on October 12. CBS 4 in Denver reported that PFA will now revisit bonfire policies. Read more from CBS 4 and see photos of the bonfire here.
Fossil Ridge bonfire in 2013 (via @catlyn_underground):