Former Bronco/UNC Head Coach Ed McCaffrey Voted Into CO Sports Hall Of Fame
Congratulations are in order for former Broncos player and current University of Northern Colorado Head Football Coach, Ed McCaffrey, who has officially been voted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame.
The Colorado Sports Hall of Fame selection committee made the announcement on Tuesday (Oct. 12), according to USA Today Sports.
McCaffrey had a 13-season run in the NFL, playing with the San Francisco 49ers, the New York Giants, and the Denver Broncos as a wide receiver; he joined the Broncos in 1995, following Mike Shanahan from San Francisco to Denver to join forces with former offensive superstars, John Elway and Shannon Sharpe, as well as several other rising stars.
During his time in Denver, McCaffrey recorded 462 receptions for 6,200 receiving yards and 46 touchdowns. McCaffrey also helped the Broncos reach the postseason five times, including back-to-back Super Bowl championship runs in 1997 and 1998.
Since retiring from the NFL, Ed McCaffrey has spent several years coaching football in Colorado. He led Valor Christian High School's football program for two seasons and played an integral part in helping the Eagles win a 5A state championship in 2018.
In 2019, McCaffrey took on the role of head football coach at the University of Northern Colorado, where he still works today.
Ed McCaffrey will be the 27th former Broncos player inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame's 57th annual banquet is slated to take place on May 4, 2022 at the Hilton Denver City Center.
The Colorado Sports Hall of Fame Class of 2022 features a total of six inductees, including:
- Carol Callan - longtime director of USA Basketball women's national team
- Chuck Williams - former star athlete at Denver East High School + University of Colorado who went on to play for the Denver Rockets and Nuggets in the ABA and NBA
- Darnell McDonald - former standout two-sport high school athlete who went on to sign with the Baltimore Orioles
- Roger Kinney - helped bring the 1990 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Final Four to Denver
- DaVarryl Williamson - former professional boxer
- Ed McCaffrey - former Broncos WR
Denver Broncos Forgotten Players
TACKLE THESE: Check Out the Best Uniforms In Each NFL Team's History