The Best Grilling and Smoking Tips-Ever!
My friends at Rubbin' Buttz BBQ have stepped up to set me straight on my bbq'ing and smoking techniques. Some thing's I had right and some thing's, well I was on another planet. Come with me on the greatest summer cooking journey ever.
SMOKIN' TRUTHS, WOOD MATTERS:
WHAT DOES YOUR SMOKIN' MEAT LIKE:
SMOKIN' TIME AND TEMPS:
- Preheat your grill to 400 degree's before putting your meat on it
- Once you place your meat on the grill turn the heat to medium
- Don't rush your meat, if it doesn't release easily it's not ready to turn
- Grill marks, if you won't em' rotate your meat at a 45 degree angle and don't flip till your meat releases again
- Don't boil your meat before grillin' it, that will make it dry and rubbery
- Grill chicken at a lower temp and rub with olive oil before throwing on the grill, if you can cook with in-direct heat
- Chicken is safe to eat when it reaches an internal temp of 165 degrees, make sure that your instant read thermometer is accurate (Amanda adds that Thermapen is the most accurate and registers within 3 seconds) -can anyone say Happy Fathers Day?!
- Brats and Sausage should reach an internal temp of 155
- Pork should read out at 145, stuffed or not-the pork is actually safe at 137, but Amanda says she cooks till 145 (remember it is OKAY to eat pork that is slightly pink in the center)
Ohh when saucing foods on the grill wait until its just about finished cooking then sauce it. this way you can caramelize the sauce without burning it. You should never start out with the sauce on raw. it is also very important to not cross contaminate. If you marinade before grilling throw out the marinade and wash the bowl and utensils before basting with fresh marinade. if you're basting before the outside of the meat is cooked, use a spoon to lightly drizzle the marinade so you don't contaminate your marinade with raw meat. once you flip then use a brush if you desire because any bacteria that may have grown will be dead. -Amanda Nix, Rubbin' Buttz BBQ in Milliken
Happy Summer Cook-Outs... Have fun and eat great grilled and smoked meats!!!!!