Discarded Cigarette Caused Sail Boat Fire Near Fort Collins
Are you a butt flicker. Don’t flick your cigarette butts out the window! It’s just too dangerous. An improperly discarded cigarette caused the Sail Boat Fire that burned 1 1/2 acres on the east side of Horsetooth Reservoir on Wednesday. Poudre Fire Authority was called to the fire in the 3300 block of South Centennial drive around 2 pm on Wednesday.
The hot dry weather caused the fire travel quickly up a slope and moved towards the Horsetooth Sail and Saddle Club. Several residences in the area were also threatened. Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze with the help of a Single Engine Air Tanker and work on the ground by firefighters.
This fire is a reminder to be careful during this time of hot and dry weather. In addition, fire restrictions passed by the Larimer County Commissioner’s on Tuesday include restrictions on smoking outdoors and discarding of cigarettes. Violation of these restrictions can result in fines.