19 Confirmed Salmonella Cases Linked to Fort Collins Restaurant
La Luz Mexican Grill is still closed after a salmonella illness outbreak at the Old Town Fort Collins restaurant earlier this month. The Larimer County Health Department said as of yesterday afternoon, there have been 19 confirmed cases of the outbreak with additional testing still pending for others. They haven’t been able to determine the exact source of the outbreak.
Here's what the health department said those who've eaten at La Luz recently should be aware of: Salmonella are bacteria that can cause infections affecting the intestinal tract, urinary tract, bloodstream or other body tissues. Salmonella is often spread to people through food consumption. The bacteria can be found in many food items including raw meats, eggs, produce. Salmonella can be spread through people who are sick who handle food. Some people who are infected are asymptomatic and can spread the infection unknowingly.
Symptoms may include, diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, vomiting and bloody stool. Symptoms typically appear 6-72 hours after eating contaminated food and will usually last for 4 to 7 days. In severe cases, the symptoms may last longer or require hospitalization.