Know About Organ Transplant? 1500 People Need One in Colorado
If you know much about organ transplants, then you have likely gone through some hard times either personally needing one or with someone you love needing one.
A few years ago my mom was hoping to be eligible for a liver transplant. To help that happen a few of us family members had to sit and learn all about liver failure and liver transplant and life after a transplant. Unfortunately, she was not eligible.
I had no idea, about any of it. I also had no idea how many people need an organ transplant and how tough it can be to get on a list. Basically, they don't want to give a healthy organ to someone who is not in a position to give a transplant the best chance possible. If you can find a living donor, things happen a lot faster or happen at all.
There are a few websites that connect those in need with those who are able. One of those websites is Matching Donors. They provided the following statistics:
- Around 1,500 people in Colorado are currently waiting for a lifesaving transplant. More than 100,000 people nationwide are waiting.
- 234 generous organ donors made a record 642 lifesaving transplants possible in Colorado.
- On average, 17 people die each day while waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant.
- 41,354 organ transplants were performed using organs from deceased donors in 2021.
- Additionally, 6,538 living donor transplants were performed in 2021.
- Of the patients waiting, 90,325 (85%) are in need of a kidney and 11,477 (11%) are in need of a liver transplant.
- Every 9 minutes someone is added to the national organ transplant waiting list
If you become an organ donor, you can save a life. Consider seeing if you're a match.