Fort Collins Church Installing Lockers for the Homeless
A Fort Collins church plans on providing lockers for the homeless. Fort Collins Mennonite Fellowship says they will purchase and install lockers, hire a staff person to manage them, and commission a community mural in honor of the people they serve. The Murphey Center has lockers for the homeless, but they are only available from 8-5 on weekdays and not on holidays.
Fort Collins Mennonite Fellowship needs your help to get the project started. Someone has even started a gofundme page.
Why the Lockers Are Needed
- The 2015 Fort Collins Homeless Coalition Survey found that lockers are a high priority among the homeless.
- 40% of those surveyed said they were NEVER able to store their belongings securely.
- 75% experienced harassment, discrimination, difficulty with employment, were told to move or sit elsewhere, and were banned from stores because of their backpacks.
- All had to stash their belongings outdoors, resulting in a high rate of theft.
- 90% said they would use a free, large-sized locker if available.