I don't think America will ever be done rolling its collective eyes over the "hot coffee" lawsuit of 1994, when a lady was awarded over half a million dollars because her McDonalds drink was so hot that the cup melted, seriously burning her.  That episode is why you typically see those cardboard wraps and over-built lids at just about any coffee station nowadays.  It became the industry standard.

So, I'm not sure how Starbucks will fare in a Colorado lawsuit that's been brought on recently.  Court documents say Deanna Solas-Solando ordered a Venti tea at the Leetsdale Drive and Holly Street location in Denver; and that she received it without a heat sleeve or even a lid that was fastened securely, causing it to spill and burn her abdomen and thighs.

Then, we're told it killed her dog!  As this was happening, it had jumped onto her lap and also sustained a spill that was so hot and damaging that the poor animal didn't survive treatment at the veterinarian.

While Solas-Solando is suing for $75,000, Starbucks says video footage contradicts her story.  It sounds to me like both she and the Starbucks employee involved could've been more attentive to the situation, but I don't know.

When I read the news, I'm reminded that it may not hurt to chant a quick prayer before I leave the house in the morning, in hopes that I evade such seemingly insolvable conundrums - and worse yet, horrible things where I'm clearly at fault, because I forgot to use my natural abilities to the fullest.

I feel the worst for the dog.  We'll see what happens next!

More From K99