Union Colony Civic Center in Greeley Celebrates 25 Years With Anniversary Gala
The Union Colony Civic Center celebrates the kickoff of the 25th Anniversary Season with a public Open House and Gala on Sunday, September 8th, from 3:00-6:00 p.m.
The celebration has a theme of “It Belongs to You!”, and includes a by-invitation “VIP” reception from 2-3 p.m., honoring the original driving forces behind the creation of the Union Colony Civic Center, and the original donors to the project, as well as area dignitaries.
- At 3 p.m., there is a short program open to the public in Monfort Concert Hall. This presentation will include a video montage of the highlights of the past 25 years, as well as performances by trumpet impresario Bill Pfund and his trumpet choir, and Charmaine Coppom, both of whom performed at the Grand Opening celebration in 1988. The program will be emceed by Coppom and Noel Johnston. There will also be tributes to those people integral to the UCCC’s existence, who are no longer with us.
- Following the program, the community will have access to “their” facility—with a grand open house which will allow the public to see backstage, on stage, both theaters, and explore entertainment in all lobby areas.
- In addition to tours of the stage and backstage areas, there will be a children’s “Instrument Petting Zoo”, allowing youngsters to try their hand at various musical instruments. The Stringed Instrument area will be led by Tom Nugent, Chappelow Art Magnet School and Greeley West High School strings instructor; the Brass Instrument area will be led by Kathy Azari, Brentwood Middle School Band Instructor. Additionally, there will be “Kids’ Karaoke”, led by Darlene James, Meeker Elementary School Music Specialist and Brianna Sosna, Scott Elementary School Music Specialist. All of these children’s activities will take place on the Monfort Concert Hall stage.
- Elsewhere in the building, various groups will provide entertainment, while cake and punch are served in the lobby. The Patio Lounge will feature singers from The Greeley Chorale, conducted by Dr. Galen Darrough, from 4-4:20 and 5-5:20, a quintet from the Greeley Chamber Orchestra from 4:30-4:50 and the Sixteen Strings String Quartet from various Greeley High Schools, from 5:30-5:50. In the Two Rivers Lounge on the 2nd floor, the Bill Shade Trio will perform from 4:00-4:40, and Phyllis Eaton, pianist, will play from 5:00-5:40. Also on the 2nd floor, Greeley Central High School Arts Magnet Dancers and dancers from the Northern Colorado Academy of Dance will perform from 4:40-5:00.
- In the Hensel Phelps Theatre, patrons can enjoy a performance by the Greeley Children’s Chorale from 4:00-4:30, and Kream of the Krop Swing Band from 5:00-5:45. The Greeley Children’s Chorale will be conducted by Sue Davis, Darlene James, Pam Korth, Kris Pierce, Brianna Sosna, with accompaniment provided by Peter Romero and Sandra Varley.