Thanksgiving Day Playlist – Songs For Turkey Day
I am a bit of a music fanatic in that I feel the need to make a fitting music mix for just about every special occasion (And even some not-so-special occasions). Now, Thanksgiving is a tough one because there isn't all that much music devoted to the holiday, and a lot of the songs that are, seem a little cheesy. But here are some songs that you can add to your turkey day mix to liven things up a bit.
- Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant"
- Adam Sandler's "Thanksgiving Song" (Explicit)
- Guy Davis' "Thanksgiving Day"
- Dave Zobl's "Thanksgiving Day"
- Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"
- Vince Gauraldi's "Thanksgiving Theme" (From Peanuts)
- Denise Vasquez's "Thanksgiving Day, Jeff Gorski's "Thanksgiving Day"
- Mary Chapin Carpenter's "Thanksgiving Song"
- Nicole Westbrook's "It's Thanksgiving"
- "Thanksgiving Overture" (Spoof of William Tell Overture)
- Lydia Maria Child's "Over The River and Through The Woods"
- Celtic Women "We Gather Together"
As well as a plethora of classical pieces and religious hymns. You might even get some food-related songs like Weird Al's "Eat It" or "Food, Glorious Food" from 'Oliver'. However, if you're anything like me hearing most of those songs once a year is more than enough. You probably want to make a turkey day playlist that has a bit more 'girth' to it and has some songs you can enjoy all afternoon as well as a few songs actually recorded in the past decade or so.
Here a list of some songs that might be playing at my house on Thanksgiving. Some about being thankful, some about family, some about food, and some that just 'feel' right for the holiday. (Song links will take you to Amazon where you can preview the songs and/or buy and download the MP3s.)
- NeedToBreathe - "Let Us Love"
- Zach Gill - "Family"
- Snow Patrol - "Lifening"
- Good Charlotte - "Thank You Mom"
- Trik Turner - "Friends and Family"
- Cranberries - "Ode To My Family"
- Jason Mraz - "Life is Wonderful"
- Sam Shaber - "All Of This"
- Ben Lee - "We're All In This Together
- "Drive By Truckers - "The Thanksgiving Filter"
- Sam & Dave - "I Thank You"
- ZZ Top - "I Thank You"
- Bright Eyes - " I will be grateful for this day"
- Alanis Morissette - "Thank U"
- Bon Jovi - "Thank You For Loving Me"
- Elton John - "Your Song"
- Led Zeppelin - "Thank You"
- Natalie Cole - 'Be Thankful"
- Kelly Clarkson - "Thankful"
- Dido - "Thank You"
- Sister Sledge - "We Are Family"
- Jay and the Techniques - "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie"
- Simon & Garfunkel - "Homeward Bound
- Johnny Cash - "Thanksgiving Prayer"(Not sure where to buy the Johnny Cash version, but here is a link to the Skeggs version of the song.)
What are your favorite thanksgiving tunes? Any more out there I should add to my list?
Picture by Marit & Toomas Hinnosaar, Flickr.