Tandoori Chicken: Screaming Spicy And Yummy!
Don't be afraid of spice, dive in with both feet. And don't let the long list of spice ingredients deter you, I have a secret. I love trying new recipes, but often get discouraged because of the long list of seasonings and spices in a lot of recipes that I just don't keep on hand. Here's my secret... find a store that has seasoning's and spices in bulk. This way you can get only what you need for new recipes. And that's a lot cheaper than buying a jar of Turmeric for $4.99, which you may end up not liking. I think that I spent about 2 bucks, if that, on all the spices in this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 (8-ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 pita breads, warmed on the grill
- Tomato Jam, recipe follows
- Herbed Yogurt, recipe follows
Heat grillpan to medium-high. Combine all spices and the oil in a medium bowl to make a paste. Rub a thin layer of the spice paste onto 1 side of each chicken breast. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until slightly charred and just cooked through. Remove from the grillpan, let rest 5 minutes, and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Serve openface on pitas: the chicken slices and a drizzle of Herbed Yogurt.
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
*My Ashley made the Herbed Yogurt and felt that it needed garlic and a splash of lemon. It was very tasty.