Recipe Rescue: Cut Calories from Recipes Without Missing Anything
CUTTING CALORIES FROM FAVORITE FOODS:
- Use Part-Skim Mozzarella in your recipes and drop the calorie content per cup, as compared to Cheddar Cheese, by 103 calories
- Switch to Ground Turkey for your Casseroles and Hot Dishes and save 30 calories per serving and nearly 10 grams of fat
- Use a Large Flour Tortilla for your pizza crust, a 12-inch ready made crust will chime in at 1,080 calories total (JUST FOR THE CRUST) while a large flour tortilla will comes in at 110 calories for the entire tortilla
- Choose Brown Rice over White and you'll save about 20 calories per serving, plus it packs more fiber and nutrients
- Sweet potatoes verses regular potato fries, well it's pretty much a tie here although sweet potatoes will load you up with more fiber, just coat them (either) in olive oil and a little salt and bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until done
- Use Spaghetti Squash instead of Pasta, you'll get a lot of bang for your buck in nutrition and save a WHOPPING 179 calories per serving
- Here's a big one for bakers, use applesauce verses oil in your recipes, the saving's are outrageous. 1 cup of oil, which is 100% fat weighs in at 1,927 calories. Applesauce on the other hand only has 166 calories.
There are many small steps that make little changes in your recipes that will help you become healthier. Play with your food and see what you can come up with.