High Park Fire Now Over 43,000 Acres – Last Update 8:02 a.m. [VIDEO]
Larimer County Sheriff Justin Smith says Human remains have been found in the burned home of a person reported missing after the start of the massive High Park Fire west of Fort Collins. The remains are believed to be those of 62-year-old Linda Steadman. The High Park Fire is currently at 43,433 acres with some containment.
The fire also has damaged an estimated 118 structures west of Fort Collins and has prompted hundreds of evacuations. Authorities said Monday the fire was caused by lightning. It’s already the largest wildfire in the history of Larimer County.
Citizen briefings are scheduled today at the Ranch at 9:00 a.m. & 3:00 p.m.
Here is a video of the High Park Fire captured by Drew Bankston from Star Painter Productions that shows some of the heroic efforts by the firefighters battling the blaze.
Air Quality Alert
The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Regional Air Quality Council issued an Action Day Alert for fine particulates yesterday and running through 4 p.m. today (Tuesday)
Good Progress Made Yesterday
- Some hand lines were established today and an anchor was established in the southwest portion of the fire.
- The fire is looking better tonight than last night.
- Poudre Fire Authority did a lot of good work last night through the active burning.
- Point protection was established around structures.
- There was a lot of air support today including a lot of water drops by the helicopters along both the south and northeast flanks of the fire. Smoke has been an issue for the air resources with reduced visibility.
- 500 firefighters will be working today.
The Ranch at I-25 & Crossroads Boulevard is the evacuation center. Large animals may be taken to the Ranch at I-25 & Crossroads Blvd. There is still plenty of room for animals at the Ranch. The Larimer Humane Society still has room for cats and small mammals displaced by the fire, but are at capacity for dogs. Dogs were being taken to Advanced Animal Care of Colorado, at 1530 Riverside Ave. in Fort Collins, but they are now full as well. More info at larimerhumane.org
Resources on scene:
- 400 ground and engine crews are fighting the fire. We expect to have 500-600 working by end of tomorrow.
- 5 SEATS (Single Engine Air Tankers)
- 2 type 3 helicopters
- 3 type 2 helicopters
- 2 type 1 helicopters
- Air Attack control plane
- Lead plane
- 5 heavy air tankers (there are only 9 available in the nation)
- The Colorado National Guard provided two Blackhawk helicopters for use today either for transport or bucket drops depending on the need.
High Park Fire Road Closures
- CR23 from Lodgepole to Dixon Dam (Beginning at 10:00 pm tonight)
- Highway 14 from Walden to Ted's Place
- CR23 & Lodgepole/Lory State Park
- CR25E & CR54E
- CR27 (Stove Prairie Road) south from Highway 14
- CR27 (Stove Prairie Road) one mile south of CR44H (Buckhorn Road)
- CR27 & CR38E
- CR27 north of CR44H
- CR38E and CR25E
- CR44H (Buckhorn Road) west of CR27
- CR52E (Rist Canyon Road) west of CR27E
- CR52E (Rist Canyon Road) CR25E Bellvue
To Help or to Volunteer
Call 2-1-1 or call the Larimer County United Way at (970) 407-7066 or HelpColoradoNow.org
More information can be found at:
Public information is available at the Larimer County Emergency Information line at 970-498-5500 where Information Officers are answering the phone, and at larimer.org or on Twitter @larimersheriff, or Inciweb .
Residents can sign up to receive emergency notifications on cell phones or email at www.leta911.org .