Jamey Johnson Celebrates the Music of Hank Cochran with Upcoming Duets Album
Jamey Johnson has announced that his upcoming record is a duets album dedicated entirely to the music of legendary songwriter Hank Cochran. ‘Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran’ is slated for release on Oct. 16, and features Johnson performing duets with Willie Nelson, George Strait, Alison Krauss, Elvis Costello and many more.
Cochran, whose catalog includes ‘I Fall to Pieces,’ ‘Ocean Front Property,’ ‘The Chair,’ ‘Make the World Go Away’ and many other timeless classics, is one of the most celebrated songwriters in country music history. He was a mentor and friend to many up-and-coming artists, including Johnson, who used to park his bus outside Cochran’s hospital and run in to see him after he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Johnson joined Buddy Cannon and Billy Ray Cyrus in a bedside jam in Cochran’s room just hours before he died in 2010.
“If I had to dream up somebody like Hank to influence songwriters, I couldn’t have done a better job,” Johnson commented in a press release. “That’s what he was — not just for me, but for Willie and for a lot of people — just a helpful friend. If he knew you needed help with something, he could help you. He was there. And that’s what I want to be for the people in my life, same as Hank. He influenced me, not only as an artist and songwriter, but also as a person.”
‘Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran’ features Johnson and Willie Nelson performing ‘Don’t You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me,’ and the duo is joined by Leon Russell and Vince Gill on ‘Everything But You.’ Johnson teams with Merle Haggard on the Patsy Cline hit ‘I Fall to Pieces,’ while he, Nelson, Haggard and Kris Kristofferson sing ‘Living for a Song.’ Other notable performers include Emmylou Harris, Elvis Costello, Ray Price and Ronnie Dunn.
Cochran’s widow, Suzi Cochran, says the songwriter would have approved of the album, which is a labor of love from a friend. “This is incredible,” she says “I wish Hank had been here to see it. He wouldn’t believe it. He would have cried. He’d be happy. It’s exactly like Hank would have done it.”
Jamey Johnson’s ‘Livin’ For a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran’ Track List:
1. ‘Make the World Go Away’ – Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss
2. I Fall to Pieces’ – Jamey Johnson and Merle Haggard
3. ‘A Way to Survive’ – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill and Leon Russell
4. ‘Don’t Touch Me’ – Jamey Johnson and Emmylou Harris
5. ‘You Wouldn’t Know Love’ – Jamey Johnson and Ray Price
6. ‘I Don’t Do Windows – Jamey Johnson and Asleep at the Wheel
7. ‘She’ll Be Back’ – Jamey Johnson and Elvis Costello
8. ‘Would These Arms Be in Your Way’ – Jamey Johnson
9. ‘The Eagle’ – Jamey Johnson and George Strait
10. ‘A-11′ – Jamey Johnson and Ronnie Dunn
11. ‘I’d Fight the World’ – Jamey Johnson and Bobby Bare
12. ‘Don’t You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me’ – Jamey Johnson and Willie Nelson
13. ‘This Ain’t My First Rodeo’ – Jamey Johnson and Lee Ann Womack
14. ‘Love Makes a Fool of Us All’ – Jamey Johnson and Kris Kristofferson
15. ‘Everything But You’ – Jamey Johnson, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson and Leon Russell
16. ‘Livin’ for a Song’ – Jamey Johnson, Hank Cochran, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson and Willie Nelson