Fort Collins’ New MAX Bus Rapid Transit System Set to Open May of 2014 [PICTURES]
The new MAX Bus Rapid Transit System in Fort Collins is an idea that was proposed 14 years ago. We are finally seeing it come to life. Yesterday I had the opportunity to take a behind-the-scenes tour of the construction. Here is what I learned:
- MAX Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) is similar to light rail and called “Rubber-Tired Light Rail”.
- Funding: $88 Million Total, $69 Million – Federal Government, $14 Million – State & Local, $4 Million – Fort Collins
- 6 Buses have been purchased by the city. (50 Person Capacity) The first one arrives October 2013.
- MAX Bus Rapid Transit route starts at the Downtown Transit Center and ends at the new South Transit Center.
- Most of the underground utility work is now complete.
- Dedicated concrete bus lanes called “Guideways” will be rapidly poured through the summer.
- Testing of the system starts early next year for approximately 3 months to make sure it runs smoothly.
- Check out the interactive brochure here!
This YouTube video tells you more about the new MAX Bus Rapid Transit System:
Subscribe to K99 on
Here are a few pictures I took on the tour on Thursday afternoon: