Don’t Be a Litter Bug!
As I do on the regular these days, I opened up my computer and went on Facebook this morning. The first post that showed up was a picture from Red Rocks. The picture which you see above was taken last night after the electronic, dub step musician, Flux Pavilion put on a show. Red Rocks said this about the picture; “Friendly reminder to clean up after yourselves when you visit the amphitheater. HUGE shout-out to those employees and volunteers who help make the park sparkle again (even in the rain)!” My HUGE shout-out goes to the people who made the mess… Clean up after yourself!
Not only is litter dirty and gross, but if you don’t pick up your own trash someone will have to for you. What makes them any less worthy than you? In case the dirty and gross isn’t enough, here are some other reasons litter is horrible…
- Litter cost communities. Clean communities have a better chance of attracting new business and residents and tourists. Long term less revenue to city, county and state coffers, meaning higher taxes.
- Litter hurts people. Every year there are numerous vehicle accidents caused by litter. People in these accidents are injured and sometimes even killed in their attempts to avoid litter in the roadways. Young children fall on litter in playgrounds, get cut and need medical attention.
- Litter also harms plants and degrades natural areas. When garbage is dumped, it can kill or stunt plant growth. Few people think about the harm to natural areas from litter.
- Litter kills or injures animals. Many small animals crawl into bottles or jars and get stuck and slowly starve to death. Animals get caught in plastic six pack rings, plastic bags, fishing line and a multitude of throwaways. Birds that are stuck, can’t fly away from danger. Sometimes animals caught in six pack rings are strangled as they grow too big for the opening. Animals get cut, infected and die. Every year, millions of birds, fish and animals die from litter.
- Litter carries Germs: Scavengers, such as rats are drawn to lots of litter. Rats are carriers of many types of diseases that make people ill.
- Litter is a problem with Farmers and Ranchers; Cattle and other animals can die from ingesting metal and other substances such as ground up glass. Repairs to machinery jammed by trash, tires damaged by broken bottles. means downtime and lost crops.
- Litter harms water quality : Careless dumping of hazardous waste seeps into surrounding soil and cause ground water pollution.
- Litter is Expensive: The amount of money being spent picking up litter could be used in repairing roads, hiring more fireman and police.
Help us clean up our ways, would ya?