Can We Get a Rain Dance? (and a Challenge)[Pictures]
The rain dance is a traditional American Indian ritual and for those who believe can create a rain shower or two.
- Never do a rain dance on a hill.
- Make sure that you have a lot of room so that you don't run into anything.
- Spin around in clockwise circles.
- Make up your own rant chant, it should be rhythmical and easy to say fast.
- Yell your rain chant while spinning around in circles.
- Should you need to get rid of the rain, say your chant backwards while spinning in counter clockwise circles.
*Your writer, D Dennison does not mean to make light of American Indian traditions. In fact, she is a registered Choctaw.
Northern Colorado has a 10% chance of rain today, however the afternoon could be riddled with lightening and gusty winds. For all of us affected by the Hewlett Gulch fire, I hope our collective thoughts can bring more moisture and less wind and lightening.
I challenge us all to collectively think about rain or do a rain dance at 2pm this afternoon. I also challenge us to a protective cover of positive thought over the residents, firefighters, wildlife and our precious lands.