Bears Face Defending National Champs EWU Today
The UNC Bears (0-6, 0-4) face the defending national champion Eastern Washington Eagles (2-4, 2-2) on the bright red turf at 5pm tonight in Cheney, Washington. The Bears are 0-5 against EWU in Big Sky Conference matchups, and 1-7 against the Eagles all-time. UNC is also searching for its first ever win in Cheney (0-3).
• Junior Dominic Gunn is now the Northern Colorado career record holder with 1,276 kickoff return yards. He surpasses Johnny Watkines (1981-84) who had 1,262 for the Blue & Gold.
• Sophomore linebacker Clarence Bumpas now leads the Big Sky Conference with 12.7 tackles per game. He also ranks third amongst FCS players and has been in double figures in tackles in each of the last four games.
• Freshman Devontae Chapple is tied for the conference lead with 7.5 tackles for loss and 5.0 sacks on the year. He is one of just two freshmen to rank in the top 100 in the country in tackles for loss.
• Senior wide receiver Patrick Walker needs just 23 receiving yards to move into the career top 10 list at Northern Colorado. Walker has 1,561 career yards on 127 catches.
• Sacramento State did not attempt a pass last Saturday against the Bears. It was the third time an opponent had 0 passing yards in a game (1974 vs Pittsburg State; 1976 vs Cameron).